[openbeos] Re: Hmm...

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:45:59 -0400

>Why is it necessary to recreate BeOS?
>We have a beautiful kernel, although we do not have the
>code for it, does not mean that we can not use it.

Initially, I would like to use all of R5 as it ships. Replacing piece by
piece when we have something that works.

>The thing we have to do for starters is replacing the
>net_server. That should not be impossible, and all i want
>in the beginning is stability. The stability of the current
>net_server is, well... bad.

I have had very good luck with it. But maybe that is all it is.
Since it is one piece that you seem to be interested in, can
we count you in as a team member for networking?

>After that we can start to move on.

There are too many of us (around 20) to all work on one piece.
And so many people have different interests, I don't see how
everyone WOULD work on the same piece.

>I think this should work to keep BeOS alive, but you seem
>to want to create a open-source version of BeOS, which
>I think is not that nice of an idea. I have nothing against
>creating another open-source OS, but I do not think we should
>base that upon BeOS. BeOS is nice, but it is far from perfection.

But it is a modular piece with great documentation and a reference
implementation. We don't have to start from scratch. We can take
from that which is here and there.