[haiku] Re: Non-commercial code: Was: Haiku User Groups

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:37:07 +0000

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 21:03, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, we probably also need to do a review of all the various licenses
> involved with the OptionalPackages and any outside sources that are
> built into Haiku as there might be a few that limit commercial
> distributions.

> Here's a search of the source, which turns up 30 hits, and this
> doesn't check all of the OptionalPackages.
> http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/search?q=non-commercial&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=
>
> PDFLib for example...  and even some old Be code... perhaps we could
> get permission from the original authors to update the license on
> these files?

This is an excellent opportunity for someone to make a non-development
contribution that will directly remove a TODO from another person's
list ... in this case, most likely mine.

A list of which software or directories contain "for non-commercial
use" licenses/disclaimers, the respective copyright holder, and a way
to contact them would go a long way as motivation.

That list could then be sent to this list or even the haiku-inc
mailing list: www.freelists.org/list/haiku-inc

This would be the first step toward establishing how Haiku can be used
in and by commercial endeavors, which was one of the driving factors
in choosing the MIT license.

Cheers

--mmadia