[openbeos] Re: Name suggestion

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:21:13 +1000 (EST)

I have never considered the familiarity of others as a selling point, until ...

My grandmother wanted a microwave, she layed in wait for me to visit and
dragged me to give her my opinion. I looked at the available models and one had
a turn dial instaed of a number pad. It was elegant and easy to learn and use -
just a little annoying for large numbers. I suggested it and she bought it.
Then as none of her neighbours or friends knew how to use it she decided she
"didn't need" it.

I have had no end of trouble trying to convince my sister and friends that a
data partition is not dangerous and is supported by windows. It is actually
safer and less hasles when you need to regularly re-install. Imagine trying to
convince them to dual boot another OS.

We can use the word "be" and "OS" until the cow's come home, they are common
word/term and are not trademarkable. The problem is BeOS. "Be Operating System"
may be as it is the expansion and is not independant of "BeOS".

A phrase like "Be Open Operating Systems!" is an independant statement and can
not be trademarked, but BOOS can be. It's also a pretty good pun IMOSOH.

Food for thought: OEMs are under Microsoft's (very large) thumb, but if their
OBOS operation is a "seperate" company Microsoft has no loegal power and there
is no threat of bancrupting the whole company.

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!