[openbeos] Re: Name suggestion

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:25:58 +0200

m.jacob wrote:

> Well, MS is MS ... right? Btw, we tried to offer a Linux
> only machine as a test with the option for the customer to
>  upgrade to Windows later, of course paying the full
> license for the upgrade and guess what ... 100% upgraded.

C'mon, let's face it: one reason why ppl use Windows is
because it's familiar to ... others, which means if THEY get
stuck, someone can help them. That's not the case with Linux,
even less with BeOS (on which, I admit, one gets stuck a lot
less often than on Windows or Linux).

This is why any new "BeOS" release needs a BeOS-specific
Instant Messaging system built-in, so that help for
developers and users is just a few mouse-clicks away.

Anything you can't accomplish without oodles of $$ you have
to accomplish by working smarter.

One of the problems "BeOS" has is that its developers rather
fart around on their own basement projects (which never ever
go anywhere anyway) rather than teaming up and creating a
really useful, user-friendly, marketable and properly
supported application.

If "BeOS" is lagging behind, then it's the app developers
that are to blame - no one else. Why? Because you can only
market what you have, and on "BeOS" you don't really have
anything commercially viable. And you all know that an OS
can't be marketed, but its applications can.

Anyway... forget about names and OEMs, join together and get
some proper apps out, not the 23rd image viewer
without proper translators or the 15th text editor without
what one expects it to support.

Just my 0.02,

Helmar

P.S. Also don't forget that little companies/projects make
it big because the followers believe in the "leaders" and
"visionaries". There ain't no one like that on BeOS, and JLG
had more "board" than "user" or "developer" appeal.