[openbeos] Re: More stuff to disagree with...

  • From: "Fredrik Holmqvist" <holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:32:40 +0100

"Brian Matzon" <maillinglists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the Survey was stored in a XML document, you could easily
> export it to whatever format by writing an XSLT document,
> describing what the resulting document should look like
> when it has been processed with a XSLT Processor (such as
> Xalan).

I totally agree.
In my latest project at work we wrote all documentation in XML (with a nice
DTD). It took much less time than writing in Word and we had more than a dozen
layouts presentable at the moment I saved (thanks to some equally nice XSLT's).

OTOH it's not very fun writing the DTD and especially not the XSLT.

If you have Windows you could try downloading XMetal. I think it comes with
some sample 'journalistic' DTD's.

> However - to my knowledge, only Xerces has been ported to
> BeOS?

Here are Xalan and Xerces for BeOS with code.
A BeOS port of Xalan-C : http://www.bebits.com/app/1591
A BeOS port of Xerces-C: http://www.bebits.com/app/1590

If you are interested goto http://xml.apache.org for more information.

/Fredrik Holmqvist