[openbeos] Re: Media kittens

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:03:20 +0100

Isaac Yonemoto <ityonemo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Why don't we design a new API.  We should also do 3, and provide a "quick
>wrapper" for the old binaries.  A lot of the encoders/decoders are pretty
>bad anyway, and apparently, the Media kit was broken.  This way we can not
>worry about making the Media kit *work* first, and a fluid design paradigm
>will work, too.

It's almost impossible to provide a "wrapper" for the BeOS R5 media kit
extractor, writer, encode & decoder without having the original header
files. There are not that many anyway, and rewriting better ones is
possible. However, we need an API first.
We can design a new internal API for them, using the information
found when analysing the binaries. We are not limited to the functions
and parameter lists of the current internal functions, but will use them
as a first guidline for implementation. This does not prevent a complete
redesign.
The documented media kit API, as used by applications, will stay
binary compatible with R5.

regards
Marcus