[haiku] Re: It's official : Google Summer of Code 2010.

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:49:50 -0200

On 10 February 2010 15:29, Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ever try to mount a newer version of ZFS with an older driver/client as
> your root filesystem?  It's not pretty :)

It's not even supposed to work. An older driver can't possibly know
what to do with the new features like a compression or checksumming
algorithm change. Hence the versioning. And a newer driver can read an
older filesystem, of course.

Btrfs won't solve this because this is unavoidable, and I haven't seen
many advantages to it other than being GPLd (thus pallatable to the
Linux crowd), so all I suggested was, since we don't have a lot of
prejudice against other licenses (while being kind of biased against
GPL on the kernel), to go with what's already proven as *portable*,
and with a FUSE port to kick.

Cheers,
A.