[openbeos] Re: Is it possible to boot Haiku from a USB key?

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:00:35 +0200

> > I would actually rather change the boot loader in this regard a
> > bit, and
> > (if possible) make it realize it has been booted from USB (this
> > should be
> > easily possible with BIOS conforming to some standards), and then
> > automatically boot the USB drivers.
> > Of course, this might work as reliable as to always put them in,
> > which we
> > probably should do for now before we experiment with a different
> > approach.
>
> From Michael's email it sounds like the USB stack is currently loaded
> anyways, because udb_disk requires it. So should we simply make the
> change?
> Would be neat to have that feature by default, IHMO. :-)

In fact it is loaded anyway since usb_disk is present. It is just not
loaded when searching for the boot volume, but only afterwards when
searching for other volumes. Generally as most of the current computers
rely on some kind of USB (mice mostly) the USB stack will have to be
loaded during boot anyway. If not by usb_disk then by usb_hid. So it
doesn't make the boot process longer, it's just where in the boot
process the time is spent. The only reason it would make the boot
process longer would be if the USB stack was actually unloaded (which
happened under BeOS R5 even though it shouldn't), as then the stack has
to be loaded multiple times. If this is the case (I haven't checked)
then this would need to be fixed. So I took the liberty to add the boot
module symlinks in r25836. Any default image starting from that
revision should be USB bootable by default, so you should be able to
simply dd an image to a USB stick and boot from that (provided your
BIOS supports USB booting that is). Note that this of course wipes the
content of the USB stick (just so that I mentioned).

Regards
Michael