[openbeos] Re: Is it possible to boot Haiku from a USB key?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:08:09 +0200

On 2008-06-07 at 00:04:01 [+0200], Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I assume just adding a line to the UserBuildConfig would be
> > > sufficient as
> > > well (rather than hacking at HaikuImage):

> > > usb_disk ;
> >
> > Is there a disadvantage for doing this as the "official default" in
> > HaikuImage?
>
> The approach with UserBuildConfig does not work. I think it is because
> the UserBuildConfig is included before some other necessary stuff
> happens with the targets (they need to be added to the "container"
> first AFAIR). Ingo would know the details I guess.

Yeah, it's a limitation of the AddBootModuleSymlinksToHaikuImage rule ATM.
It has to be called after the rule adding the module to the image. It
shouldn't be too complicated to lift the limitation, though.

An alternative I am considering is the introduction of rules that can be
defined in UserBuildConfig and will be invoked at a later point. E.g. one
that would be invoked after the Jamfile tree has been processed, but before
HaikuImage, and another one invoked in HaikuImage right before the image is
finalized. AddBootModuleSymlinksToHaikuImage could then be invoked in the
second rule.

CU, Ingo