[haiku] Re: How do I get a list of all terminal commands?

  • From: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:00:12 -0500

> > I'm particularly looking for the equivalent of disk utilities like BSD's
> > disklabel, fdisk, and newfs.
> >
> > I'd do with just a simple list of all the commands available in Haiku,
> > since I can figure it out from there.  "man" and "help" don't return
> > anything useful.
> >
> > * So, is there a terminal command that will give me a list?
> > * If not, a website?
> > * Do all of Haiku's commands follow a certain OS or it is a mix of
> > different ones?
>
> Funny, seems you're as lost in the Haiku UI as I feel on a FreeBSD command
> prompt. Without a second computer and reading the FreeBSD handbook, I
> couldn't have figured things out. In Haiku, what you want is "DriveSetup".
> Though there is a command line tool in our source repo (in the test
> section) called "partitioner". It is not part of a standard Haiku image. If
> I am not mistaken, newfs is a front-end to mkfs (or similar) supposed to
> simplify it's usage. In Haiku, we have indeed a mkfs command.
>
> We use a lot of the GNU shell tools, and we generally follow the philosophy
> that the tools give meaningful help. I.e. they are supposed to detect when
> you don't know how to use them and print help, as well as support "-h" and
> "--help". So if I just call "mkfs" on the prompt, I get this:
I like a good GUI too.  It's just I was forced to use OpenBSD for a little
while after both Windows and Haiku failed to boot.  Fortunately, man worked and
I knew about Lynx. :)  I think there was some info that I was missing or
something I was having a hard time with in DriveSetup that made me want to try
the commandline.

Well, anyways, just thought I should leave a final reply and say thanks to
everyone.

BTW, tab+tab should work.

Lelldorin, I feel sorry that you had to go through all that effort. :(

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390707/direct/01/