[openbeos] Re: High speed BMessages via S-COW

  • From: Steffen Yount <sy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:48:40 -0800

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the article,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that trips to
kernel land were not expensive within the BeOS, since the kernel area
was mapped into the lower portion of every process's memory area, and
therefore trips to kernel land do not require a context switch but
merely a switch in and out of x86 protected mode. . .

Also your article kinda reminded me of the following link about
freebsd's copy on write implementation, if you haven't seen it before
you'll probably find it interesting:
http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html

Cheers,
-Steffen