[openbeos] Re: HaikuPedia / One hour challenge

  • From: Ivan Vodopiviz <merkoth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:17:12 -0300

On 4/20/05, Miguel Zúñiga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At this discussion, there have been reading such good ideas, some of
> which had already been thought (but not this deeply) by the Haiku doc
> team. They also had thought about "media live walk-troughs" or "Haiku
> tours" made in mpeg or even in a gif-slides-presentation, but here there
> is another "issue": we have no official source where take snapshots
> from, or where to take accurate Haiku way-to-do-it API / apps / etc.

that's true but, AFAIK, Haiku R1 should look pretty much similar to Be
R5. basic things like windows, the tracker and the be menu can be
explained with actual BeOS screens

> Have you noticed how much different it is to do some "superficial user"
> things between R5PE (as is from the original pack, been still downloaded
> from bebits) and the BeOS Max PE, the Developper Ed (I wonder if that's
> the way to write it in French) and the Dan0 clones? Some of the apps
> don't even match! And that comes only because of the updating process.
> And I say this without even thinking about Netserver/Bone or
> Netpositive/Firefox or if the distros have a particular app (has Haiku
> have an official statement about which apps will it be have? I guess it
> does not, as it is no finished Haiku).

again, we should only start documenting basic things. for example, the
open tracker / deskbar are quite a bit different from official Be
ones...

> To write a "Haiku wiki" or something related, I guess it is a good time
> to start, as we have several parts of it working smoothly, but don't
> wait them to be "user friendly". If right now you want to write help
> files, you'll be walking on the air. If you like to doc the apps as they
> are being released, Please, be welcomed! As Haiku IS being different in
> many "inside" aspects with R5, it would be great to list the differences
> from now on, as they are still easy to get (well, as if would be when it
> is finished). I guess we could write basic help files from the BeOS
> distro we have (PhOS, Max, Developper... even Zeta) pointing that they
> are not Haiku (at least internally) and update them as the Haiku
> equivalents are being released... because there will be some point when
> the apps will be ready and the developers won't wait for the doc crew to
> review them all.

I'm not really sure if documenting unofficial distros is a good idea.
I don't even think that it's really needed since, if you have enough
knowdledge to get PhOS, you don't really need any kind of basic
tutorial about Be

cya!

---
BlueSteel | | Merkoth