[haiku] Re: Haiku as the easy-to-use, free, open, secure OS

  • From: gs@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 13:21:27 +0200

Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I guess this includes the "Be Sample Code" licenced stuff
> (https://www.ohloh.net/licenses/be-sample-code). This is a 3-clause BSD,
> which is not compatible with the GPL.

That is a free software license, and it is compatible with the GNU GPL,
although in this case compatibility is not an issue. It's also not
referring to the nonfree blobs. I have contacted the FSF licensing team
for a clarification.

> We also include binay "blob" firmware
> drivers and we are not actually trying to provide a 100%-free software
> system, our package manager will allow distribution of proprietary software.

> Notice how the FSF doesn't endorse any of the popular GNU/Linux or BSD
> distributions, this is because complying to their very strict rules would
> mean a lot of lacking functionality, in areas where no suitable free
> software replacement for proprietary software is available. While it is a
> good thing that the FSF tries to see what are the missing parts and finding
> a way to solve the problem, we decided to get things working first, and
> look about that later.

Yes, that's understandable. I hope Haiku, as it matures, will make it
easy for the user to choose to avoid proprietary software. Having two
distinct repositories, as Debian does, is one example to solve this
problem. Even having both repositories enabled by default, but giving
the user a way to easily disable the non-free repository, would be a
significant step towards a more free system.

--gs