[openbeos] Re: Haiku Ports

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:28:10 +0200 CEST

Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     I would again like to suggest a seperate CVS/SVN/Project for
> ported
> applications. There will be many and they will be largely independant
> of the
> rest of the OS. A seperate project would simplify the management.

We already have dozens of ported apps in our repository. And right now,
I'm absolutely opposed to the idea of tearing them apart from the rest.
IMO the "ports" should only contain those packages that are not part of
the base distribution. Since we haven't decided on what comes in and
what doesn't, there is no point in creating a separate repository for
some stuff - it would only make the build process more complex, and
annoy the developers when they want to validate their latest bugs.

When Haiku R1 is done, and we've agreed on the exact specifications of
the base distribution, we can talk about this again, though :-)

> It might also lead to better seperate sharable adaption layers for
> the apps of
> a particular platform: bsd, wine etc

I don't really see that. We have a POSIX layer that cannot be tested
much better than by a) running tests again it, or b) having lots of
applications that make use of even the weirdest calls.
For anything not in the POSIX standard, we'll have compatibility layers
anyway, if there is a need for it (like a libbsd.so).

> There is nothing to stop the build from checking if there is a haiku-
> ports
> directory and building that if it exists.

Sure, it would need to work this way.

Bye,
   Axel.