[openbeos] Re: GUI / Programming Standards

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:25:35 -0500

> If people are doing this it won't take long before we
> have an OS that is like a garage sale (Hmmm reminds me
> of Linux :) )

Agreed fully.  On the BeUnited mailing list (yes, Yet Another Mailing
List on the future of BeOS) Jace and a few others have started working
on "UI Standards" documentation, the details of the guidelines, for
both the OS itself and the "recommended" way to make UIs in third party
applications.

> I personally think that individual peices of software
> should not be creditited to the author other than in
> the "About OpenBeOS" menu and on the web site, this
> should keep it as tidy as possible, but I understand
> that others may have a different point of view.

What about in the free space of the boot sector - oh, wait, that is
band names.  :P  MHO - a button in the about menu that pops up another
window with everyone's names (the list is already long, and seems to be
growing daily).  Maybe a readme somewhere that lists specifics of what
these people have contributed.

> Are there any programming or GUI or programming standards
> that the OpenBeOS team are sticking to?

Not yet.  For programming, that's someone else's ball of wax to
determine, however, a good starting point would probably be the
OpenTracker guidelines.  For GUI - it becomes a sticky subject and
definitely needs heavy moderation to discuss (anyone else remember the
times this came up on BeDevTalk lists?).  I would suggest anyone
interested in UI guidelines contact Jace and send him your inputs
and/or work with him on it (as he's already well started on it) -
jace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  If needed, I can set up yet another separate
mailing list for that as well (to help keep traffic at reasonable
levels for those not fully interested).

OpenBeOS can just "adopt" what is done there.

> Should there be a person who is assigned to this?

Jace already was for the "licensing option".  Don't see why he
shouldn't just continue work for both/all options.  :)

Programming guidelines should be done by those better at
programming.  ;)

Deej