[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Python Bindings for the Haiku API

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:47:51 +0530

Hi,

Writing a C++ API to parse whatever format we use and then wrapping
*that* seems like a good idea. That way, all bindings can reuse that
code.

Akshay wrote:
> But, writing up a parser/library in C++ would obviously take some time + the
> language specific port.

Yes, that was my concern. I guess we could adopt an existing parser to
our needs. A quick Google search turns up several JSON parsers, one of
which is in the public domain (http://jsoncpp.sourceforge.net/).

Ryan wrote:
> Unless it was compiled down to the Haiku view archive format, in which
> case it would be trivial to load by the existing Haiku API.

That's what Cocoa does. You build your interface with Interface
Builder, which saves it as a XIB - an XML format. The XIB is then
compiled into a NIB, which is a binary format. The NIB can then be
loaded by ObjC, Python or Ruby code. I'm a big fan of this method of
building applications :)

Matt wrote:
> Just be aware that working in groups or otherwise collaborating on the
> same project is not allowed:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#group_apply

I was talking about picking common formats which both the bindings
could use, not actually working on the same project.

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)