[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Python Bindings for the Haiku API

  • From: Akshay Gupta <kitallis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:48:21 +0530

Well, having UIMLs/JSON to describe UIs is no doubt a very neat option, but
it'd take away the initial notion of an extremely layered down Shoes-esque
way of interface building and functionality (atleast for Ruby).

In my opinion, wrapping the UI part of the Haiku API is the most

challenging part for any bindings. If there is a powerful declarative

UI mechanism (in JSON or XML) and there is a C++ parser that

constructs the UIs from that, you can wrap that library both in Python

and Ruby then you have a common declarative UI and you can implement

the rest of the app in a sort of View-Controller(-Model).

That seems like a nice idea . But, writing up a parser/library in C++ would
obviously take some time + the language specific port.
Or we could just use the safe way and make the language specific parser +
generator similar to how RubyQT works, generating (rubyuic) --> class
Interface files --> includable in ruby/python files to separate
implementation and the interface.
But of course defining the declarative UI format/mechanism should have its
own share of discussions?

I don't think the above would apply, since these are two different

projects with some common goals. One is for making Haiku bindings for

Python, the other for Ruby. Though there are a lot of commonalities

and I suppose both Ankur and Akshay may want to realize that Haiku

probably won't be able to sponsor both with a limited number of GSoC

spots.

Yes, I guess we totally understand that.

--
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42