[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:19:39 +1100

2009/3/10 Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2009/3/10 David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in Media
>> Kit  -- This is either related to Media Encoding support and should
>> wait for that or is not required if we have S/PDIF such that AC3 files
>> will be interpretted properly by recievers.
>
> You're missing the point here. This is meant to support digital
> multichannel output from formats other than AC-3, it would be mixed
> with other audio also. This is needed because most receivers support
> only AC-3 and DTS, and not FLAC, AAC, Vorbis etc.
> Examples:
> * Movies with 5.1 FLAC audio
> * You're playing a game and want multichannel audio
> * Playing Apple trailers which contain AAC audio
> * Hearing your IM app beep when someone sends you a message while
> watching a movie (not possible with S/PDIF pass-through from media
> player)

But once we have encoding support in the media kit and SPDIF output
then this all comes together.

I don't see the need to write something special for encoding ac3 other
than a ac3 encoder as a media kit add-on

In the short term I would see SPDIF support done first and that gives
you ac3 output to your stereo from all your DVD rips :-O
then media kit encoding with an ac3 encoder.

--
Cheers
David