[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009 -- some more TODO, requesting help.

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:33:50 +0100

Matt Madia schrieb:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortunately, it's non-trivial to add support for forwarding encoded
formats to MediaPlayer. For what it's worth, I see a lot of missing stuff in
the MediaKit that would have much higher priority to me.

Best regards,
-Stephan

Care to expound on this?

Well, the whole concept of MediaPlayer right now is based on raw streams. The decoding happens in the beginning. IIRC, there is a lot of mapping between buffer duration and buffer size going in in the audio part of things, audio buffer durations are matched to video frame durations and all this falls apart completely with encoded buffers. It is certainly possible to rework all this. But isn't it much more important to get some general Media Kit encoding support going? Or come up with a once-and-for-all approach to codec support in general? I have been hesitant to look into it, but VLC is based on "libvlc.so", right? Maybe it's possible to make something like libvlc the basis for all things codec in the MediaKit. Or GStreamer or whatever. I don't know which one is nice. But otherwise we'll lag behind for ever.

Is it worth adding those items to the list of ideas?

I wouldn't add them. I'd make sure to mention on the top of the ideas list that students are free to suggest their own ideas. The listed ideas are just suggestions. Students should take them as starting points for what we need. As such, I would focus the ideas more on our immediate needs and remove anything obviously unrealistic, such as "The OpenOffice Port". The more unrealistic ideas we have on that page, the less serious we come across. Everything IMHO, of course. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan