[haiku] Re: From OpenBeOS to Haiku

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:29:25 -0300

DarkWyrm wrote:

I'll pass along what I remember. The contest to decide the name started off with people submitting ideas. Michael Phipps -- and some of the other developers IIRC -- decided on the top 5 names and then the community voted on the top 3 names they liked best. According to Michael, the name Haiku was mostly not the top pick, but in people's top 3, so it became the name.

We had our first convention in Columbus and it was named WalterCon because it was where the name was going to be announced and they needed a name for the convention until the announcement.

This is not correct. :P Walter was the fake name we came up with to announce so we could tease our fans. :) In fact, it generated quite a heat in the community as a whole, including some death threats (I am not kidding). :)

-Bruno