[openbeos] Re: Firefox in Haiku gcc4

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:23:04 -0500

On Feb 19, 2008 2:18 PM, holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to Ryan Leavengood's help on setting up crosscompiling
> from Linux we should soon be able to provide you with Firefox2
> builds specifically built for Haiku and gcc4. I guess
> productivity will go down (or up) :)
>
> Here is a first screenshot to celebrate the success: http:
> //hem.bredband.net/b143824/gcc4_firefox.png

This is awesome and it looks great! I am glad I could be of help.
Hopefully this won't take away too much of my motivation to work on
the WebKit port and associated browser ;)

But of course choice is always good and having both will make life
easier for web developers on Haiku in the future (being able to test
Firefox and a Safari-lookalike rendering engine.) This also represents
one more reason to have GCC2/GCC4 dual-support in Haiku (though I
think that was pretty much already decided on being supported.)

In regards to web servers, the latest "cool server on the block" is
nginx. It is very fast and lightweight so fits in with the Haiku
philosophy. Maybe with the addition of a nice GUI it could be the new
"Poorman." Though it is "event-based" and I am not sure what kind of
support Haiku has for that.

Regards,
Ryan