[openbeos] Re: FS attributes

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:23:07 EST

"Axel Dörfler"  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:50:52
+0100 (MET):
> OTOH having an extra file for every attribute is too slow for certain
> things (like embedded icons), so BFS uses extra space in the inode to
> store attribute data.  So even if it's a theoreticaly good idea, it's
> too slow for real life usage in some things (of course you could
> create an index for stuff like this).

It would still be slow, but at least with ReiserFS it wouldn't be that
bad, as it handles small files well (packing several to a disk block).
You can also even specify affiliation so that all the attribute "files"
are near the main file (I think it's done by tweaking a hash function
so that the ones you want nearby are nearby in the hash codes, and that
somehow is related to allocation - but I'm not sure).

- Alex