[openbeos] Re: FS attributes

  • From: "Manuel Jesus Petit de Gabriel" <freston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:22:43 -0800

> Huh? Besides that the BeBook should have mentioned that, can you go
> into the details?
> The size of indexed attributes is fixed or has an upper bound of 256
> (for strings). But where is that problem?

Sorry, i worded it poorly.

Allowing attributes to be written incrementally has some performance
issues (each write would force the node to be reindexed.), some
boundary conditions (writing at offset=8 when the attribute only had
2 bytes... how should it be indexed), etc. It never was high on the
requirement
list to devote extra time; there was no compelling reason for implementing
it given the intended usage for attributes. The API however was defined for
allowing it, if at a later time it was really required.

[ Disclaimer: this is my interpretation of the history, dominic would be the
right person to ask :) ]

manuel,