[haiku] Re: Built-in cryptography

  • From: Alexander Fortin <alexander.fortin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:53:07 +0200

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Clemens Zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hey thats brilliant!

I was going to reply the same then I saw your email!

> By the way I wrecked my ubuntu user account when I tried to remove the
> encryption from my home directory.

I think the best way to do it is to login, tar.gz the whole home dir,
delete the user from root, ricreate it and restore homedir from the
archive.

> There are likely files in you home dir
> which does not need to be encrypted, e.g. the haiku source tree. So I think
> its not the best idea to encrypt the whole home directory. Also its not very
> flexible or intuitive when playing around with encrypted data.

I remember that it was the default behaviour on Ubuntu, to get (if
needed) just a /home/user/Private encrypted directory. I'd prefer to
encrypt the whole home directory though, because usually contains a
lot of precious information (.bash_history for example).