[openbeos] Re: Binary Compatibility [was Re: Font Sensitivity]

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:52:57 EST (-0500)

> > Of course it would be possible, but as much as I like the idea of
> > having a layout engine build into (Open)BeOS from the start (as
> > this
> > would speed up development on some tasks), I guess it's an R2 thing
> > include into.
>

> How can you make binary compatible a class compiled without
> inheritance from
> a layout base class, and a library where classes inherit from one?
>
> The only way I can see it, is having 2 separate libbe.so . One for
> backward
> compatibility without layout, and a new one layout-ready.
>
> Or there's other way ?

And the new one would be part of GE. GE stuff *doesn't* have to come
after R1. We can develop concurrently, and for mutual compatibility,
just as you are doing with R5.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Giving up on assembly language was the apple in our Garden of Eden:
Languages whose use squanders machine cycles are sinful.  The LISP
machine now permits LISP programmers to abandon bra and fig-leaf.
                -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982