[openbeos] Re: Binary Compatibility [was Re: Font Sensitivity]

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:46:10 +0100

"Brian Matzon" <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>From: "Steve Vallee" <svallee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Binary compatible ... to be or not to be ?
>Not to be!
>From my point of view this would be almost impossible to
>make happen, so we might as well drop the idea...

I disagree. It is not impossible, and in fact, we are going to do it.

I have not found a problem while developing libmedia.so
replacement and making it binary compatible at the application
level.

We are not going to make media_server binary compatible,
since the internal api used between libmedia.so and media_server
is private and undocumented.

But providing binary compatibility with all existing BeOS R5 is
possible and will be done.

regards
Marcus