[openbeos] Re: BeIA - PC

  • From: "Ronny Wisor" <RonnyWisor@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:03:04 +0200

Hi Raymond,

I buy one of these Compaq PCs, just to play around with it. Maybe I can upgrade
the CPU or the RAM!? If you get more information about it please tell me.

Best regards
Ronny

__________________________________

That appears to be one of the Compaq Clipper devices. I don't remember
how much RAM they had (16 MB maybe?), with an infrared wireless
keyboard. The keyboard sucked from almost any angle other than directly
in front of the the sensor, but I believe it had 4 USB ports which
worked quite well. If it is indeed still running BeIA, it would probably
be a pre-eVilla build which means it still likely had the user-space
network stack instead of BONE.  It may be possible to install a normal
build of BeOS on it if you install it on a larger compact flash card. I
don't remember if you had to open the machine to gain access to that or
not though.

Hope that helps... If you need more information, I might be able to
contact another former Be type to get a bit more information; he still
has one in his possession though I think he now runs linux on it...

Raymond