[openbeos] Re: BNetAddress update -- a question.

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:48:19 +0200 (added by postmaster@wanadoo.fr)

Scott Mansfield wrote:

> Not sure if we can toss Nettle...  NOW I remember why I chose to go
> with Nettle in the first place.  For the classes in the network kit
> that use nettle, they have an inlined method called "GetImpl()" that
> returns a pointer to the class' member data, which happens to be a
> Nettle object (NetAddress == NLAddress, NetBuffer == NLPacket,
> NetEndpoint == NLEndpoint).  How would you propose this be handled?
> Seems to me that the only way to be binary compatible is to use
Nettle.

I don't think we should support backward compatibility here.
Who ever call BNet*::GetImpl() methods of the BeOS Net Kit C++ classes
???
Dropping Nettle-wrapping compatibility is not required, I guess.

If you have give a look (and I hope you did, as Network team leader ;-)
) at current
uncomplete but yet not totally empty that the GetImpl() methods, which
we *have* to
implement as they're public, just return NULL:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/open-beos/current/
headers/os/net/NetAddress.h?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-
markup

"No Nettle backward compatibility".

Or did I miss something here?
In this case, please, I *want* to know what!!!
Maybe we should switch this thread to the net team ML
(openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), too ?

>   Although, I suppose I could code up some Nettle-like construct
> (NLXXX-like classes but just the data), and return these from the
> GetImpl() method but that also would more than likely violate the
prime
> directive (R5 binary compatible).

-Philippe Houdoin

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

On Monday mornings I am dedicated to the proposition that all men are
created jerks.
                -- H. Allen Smith, "Let the Crabgrass Grow"