[haiku-webkit] Re: Gitorious project.

  • From: Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-webkit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:53:08 +0100

> On 2010-02-20 at 18:39:01 [+0100], Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I was wondering if maintaining the Gitorious project opened is really
> > necessary since Michael established a subversion repository that the
> > current main developers are following.
>
> What exactly do you mean by maintaining? Leaving it available? Updating it
> with WebKit trunk at regular intervals? Keeping it synced with the new SVN
> repo?

Both, because leaving it available would mean keeping it synced with
the new subversion repository (at least, even if it isn't currently
done).
My concern was that people are now using this subversion repo and I
don't see any point to keep the gitorious project opened.

> I've talked to Axel the other day, and he proposed to put a stubbed
> libwebkit.so into the Haiku repository, develop the browser right in the
> Haiku tree and provide an optional package with the real libwebkit.so.

What do you mean by "stubbed"? A release version of libwebkit.so
or an archive containing both libjavascriptcore.so, libwebcore.so and
libwebkit.so?
As for the optional package, we can provide the three libraries
independently, and the header files (for the API part), so that people
can create anything else for Haiku using WebKit.

I think it's a neat idea and would like to do that. First I have to cleanup
> the WebKit API a bit to not expose any WebCore stuff. You've already
> started this, and at first I didn't understand it and destroyed some of
> that (also because it wasn't complete yet). But it will not be a problem to
> clean it up again. Then we can do what Ryan said and revert HaikuLauncher
> into a very simple state again.

Indeed, HaikuLauncher should be kept as simple as possible (when the
first step development will be done of course).
We may take a look to other ports launchers. But one of the main goal
of this application is to provide a simple browser for DumpRenderTree
(part on which I should make some work).

> Of course this won't make a separate repository for WebKit superflous.
> Don't know how you guys think about the SVN that Michael has setup, but it
> seems very easy to use to me, is reliable so far and pretty fast. Merging
> with the main WebKit repo also seems to be extremely simple, we've done
> that twice now. It may not keep individual commits separate as git may be
> capable of doing, but it just works.

The point with distributed revision control is the habit to use it.
When you do many tiny commits, uncommit some, clean all the stuff,
then push, it's weird to have no choice but to always push your work.
Anyhow, as I previously said, I'm not the most concerned for the moment
and subversion seems to please you. :-)

Regards,
--
Maxime