[haiku-webkit] Re: Gitorious project.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-webkit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:40:17 +0100

On 2010-02-20 at 18:39:01 [+0100], Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I was wondering if maintaining the Gitorious project opened is really
> necessary since Michael established a subversion repository that the
> current main developers are following.

What exactly do you mean by maintaining? Leaving it available? Updating it
with WebKit trunk at regular intervals? Keeping it synced with the new SVN
repo?

> Though I would have preferred having a distributed revision control
> (such as git or Mercurial), but, well, I may not be the most active
> member of the community for the moment. And I would probably survive
> using subversion. :-P

I've talked to Axel the other day, and he proposed to put a stubbed
libwebkit.so into the Haiku repository, develop the browser right in the
Haiku tree and provide an optional package with the real libwebkit.so. I
think it's a neat idea and would like to do that. First I have to cleanup
the WebKit API a bit to not expose any WebCore stuff. You've already
started this, and at first I didn't understand it and destroyed some of
that (also because it wasn't complete yet). But it will not be a problem to
clean it up again. Then we can do what Ryan said and revert HaikuLauncher
into a very simple state again.

Of course this won't make a separate repository for WebKit superflous.
Don't know how you guys think about the SVN that Michael has setup, but it
seems very easy to use to me, is reliable so far and pretty fast. Merging
with the main WebKit repo also seems to be extremely simple, we've done
that twice now. It may not keep individual commits separate as git may be
capable of doing, but it just works.

Best regards,
-Stephan