[haiku-web] Re: R1/Alpha 1 release tasks

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:10:57 -0700

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Remi Grumeau <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So, what about:
>>  - give this alpha a name: Firefox has its "Deer Park", Flash Player its
>> "Astro", BeOS R5.1 its "Dan0"  ...
>>  - a welcome prompt window at startup
>>  - an "alpha release, for developpers" mention in the About window
>>  - a "Report a bug ?" icon on the workspace or Deskbar
>>  - a contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx / support@xxxxxxxxxxxx / bug-report@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> in People
>
>> Those are interesting proposals, but I was specifically referring to
>> the website (hence the message on this list), not Haiku itself. Maybe
>> you can send a message to the [haiku-development] list for possible
>> addition to the alpha 1 release wiki in Trac.
>

> I will.
>

>> Back to the website, what I had in mind visually was something a bit
>> like thinkgos.com, (perhaps not as flashy), with a shorter intro than
>> what we have now, and links such as Download it, Install it, Test it,
>> Report bugs, etc., followed by the existing "What's New" area of the
>> front page.
>

> Huge difference between thinkgos.com homepage and the haiku homepage.

Yes, and I did not mean to say that we should clone it. :)

> So what you see is a big visual to put on top of the content we have on the
> homepage ?

If you look at the existing front page, you can see the rounded corner
blue box with a long description of what Haiku is, followed by three
columns (About, Development and Community) each having links to
various content.

I think we can take this whole area above the "Latest News" section
and make it a bit more visually appealing (hence the reference to the
gOS website) and repurpose it to reflect the specific goals of the
upcoming Haiku releases (alpha 1, alpha 2, beta, and so on).

> Want a muckup ?

That would be nice. Hopefully we can implement it into Drupal somehow.

Jorge