[haiku-web] Re: R1/Alpha 1 release tasks

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:59:50 -0300

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Remi Grumeau <remi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> As some of you may already know, the first alpha release for Haiku is
>>> being discussed on the development mailing list.
>>>
>>> Among the proposed marketing/PR-related tasks for the release, there
>>> are a few things associated with the website, as follows:
>>>
>>> * Make availability of alpha release obvious on front page
>>> * Add prominent links to download and Trac
>>> * Modify "Downloads" page to show latest release + mirrors
>>>
>>> I am posting this here to make the web team aware of this, so that you
>>> guys can discuss what's needed from a website perspective for the
>>> release and hopefully implement it.
>>>
>>> Jorge
>>> <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>

> woops... feel free to delete my previous (empty) reply.
>
> Since a date of release if decide, my idea would be to put a countdown
> block "XX days, XX hours and XX minutes before the first Haiku R1 Alpha
> release !", with a "more infos" link, and a "Send me an email when release"
> textfield. On the "more infos" page, a small text on why an alpha release,
> what will be included, How to help us on this alpha (banners, donation,
> ...).

Although, I think the countdown would be a good idea I doubt it would be
well received. Anytime a date has been talked about on the general list or
development list it has pretty much been shot down as no one wants to really
be tied down to any deadlines.

> If we got enough time, we should create the buzz around using some banners,
> widgets, web widgets, facebook apps, forum posts, ... and if we really have
> time, create a web event like the "Firefox Download Day" (but my advice
> would be to keep that for R1).

We definitely need to create a buzz but unless a specific date is set it
will be hard to do so before the actual release.

--
Dennis d'Entremont
IT Professional CNA, MCP, A+, ITIL