[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: A request for russian subdomain.

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:45:22 +0100

> it is just a practical reason to forward such semi-official domain to
> something that is stable and permanently online than make a potentially
> "dangling" link to another pretender who we are seeing the first time.
> And please understand, we do not trust the bare words.

[...]

That reasoning makes sense but it is pretty clear from the responses
from those in the project that the ru.haiku-os.org subdomain will not be
created simply as a forward to another website. As others have said, the
official site should not promote one user group above any other.

> we also
> can be rude. ;-)

But there is no need for that given the current position of the
discussion - ru.haiku-os.org is not going to be created right now.

What could be usefully discussed is this from Axel:
> While we may want to have localized content on the main page
> one day, this would work completely different from giving someone free
> access to some sub domain.

I agree that we probably want to consider how to handle translations of
the main site. It would seem very odd to have R1 all nicely localised in
terms of OS and user guide and then have the main point of access for
people (the site) be English-only. I suspect we can get the same
documentation localisation teams to translate the static content (intro,
homepage, FAQs).

What to do about the forums and news posts though?

Simon