[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: A request for russian subdomain.

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:30:05 -0400

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Ulrikhe Lukoie wrote:
>
>> Simon Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> But there is no need for that given the current position of the
>>> discussion - ru.haiku-os.org is not going to be created right now.
>>>

>> why not?
>> and who is going to decide that?
>>

> Sorry for being unclear. You had requested complete control of
> ru.haiku-os.org and that is unlikely to be granted - that was what I
> meant.
>
> Ulrikhe Lukoie wrote:
>
> > Simon Taylor wrote:
> >> It would seem very odd to have R1 all nicely localised in
> >> terms of OS and user guide and then have the main point of access for
> >> people (the site) be English-only.
> > i propose to get two-letter subdomains for the local versions, to
> > appoint team managers for the localized sites
> > and let that team to build the site with the standardized site design,
> > logo, and content structure, to add blogs/QA/forums and whatewer they
> > need on the localized site versions, but the main articles structure to
> > keep the same for all language versions
>
> I'm not sure how independent the localised views of the site should be.
> Personally I'd like to see them all giving the same information. That's why
> I wondered aloud about what to do about news and blog posts - should the
> things posted to the main site be translated for the localised versions?
>
> Does anyone know how other big projects handle this?

I would suggest reserving .de, .ru, etc. subdomains for an official 1-1
translation of Haiku's static website content.

I think Ulrikhe's idea is good. For these, community subdomains should be
offered, to be administered by localized teams. i.e
community-de.haiku-os.org, community-ru.haiku-os.org. etc.

--

Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.numbdesign.com