[haiku-web] Avatars and international forums

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Web Haiku ML" <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:07:40 +0200

Hi there!

Two things that come up from time to time, most recently for me on IRC:

How about having the option of an avatar image for forum/blog posts? I
think it's a nice way to make posts better recognizable and the whole
thing more personal. I'd opt for one fixed size, like 96x96, to have it
all nice and tidy.

Second, international forums. This came up in the past from time to
time. If I remember correctly, we thought we'd have a completely
localized website someday and thus would take care of the issue in one
fell sweep.
I'm sure that'll come real soon now... :)
Anyway, until then, I'd like to propose to go with international forums
as sub-forums in our current website. Those can later on be migrated
into their localized sub-websites, I imagine.

I'd suggest to go with German, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian,
Spanish and one "Others" first. If there's much traffic of one language
in "Others" we can offer to open its own board.
Equally, if there's no traffic in those default languages, move the
threads to the "Other" board and close it down.

Alternatively, have only one "International forum" and have mandatory
national flags to indicate the language of a topic. (And maybe
introduce sub-forums for high-traffic languages later.)
Personally, I like this alternative even better, but I don't know if
our forum software allows that easily.

Regards,
Humdinger

  Secure 1000 EUR for the Haiku Support Association
          vote 3x until 15th November 2011

          -> http://tinyurl.com/6xy8v6r <-