[haiku-inc] Re: Baron is acting up - what to do?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:40:16 -0800

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2012-12-16 at 20:25:15 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>
>> So, for an extra €120 EUR per year, we could be getting
>>  * faster CPU (i7-920 2.67GHz vs. i7-2600 3.4 GHz)
>>  * 4 times the ram (8GB vs 32GB)
>>  * 4 times the disk space (750GB vs. 3TB)
>
> Yep, that's correct.

That honestly doesn't sound too bad... We could use the extra
resources to host a few more VMs going forward - and the extra disk
space could perhaps be used to host archival builds from
haiku-files.org so we can reduce our footprint on that service.

Our cashflow is pretty solid these days - so an extra 120EUR/year
shouldn't be a big deal. If it offers us some headroom, that's a
bonus.

I vote we setup a new server and start migrating to it. Do we think it
would be best to just shutdown for a few hours and do a full
migration? Or should we setup the new server and migrate VMs to it one
at a time?

>> To note, it we ever exceed 10TB in a month, we would need to pay €7
>> EUR (incl. VAT) per additional TB used, to restore 100Mbit/s speed.
>
> True - no matter if we stay with our current server or switch to a new one.

Last I checked on hetzner's site, we're nowhere near this "danger
zone" yet... unless I looked at the stats wrong.

I'm a bit concerned about the additional need for IPv4 addresses - as
that's going to start incurring additional costs moving forward.

- Urias