[haiku-gsoc] Re: [libusb] Libusb Port to Haiku OS

  • From: Akshay Jaggi <akshay1994.leo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Batard <pete@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:27:44 +0530

Hi Pete,

On 10-Aug-2014, at 5:40 am, Pete Batard <pete@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also confirm that this seems to work on a system where no CPP is present
> (see attached log).
>
> I got worried for a second that you were still invoking autoconf for the
> configure.ac in the haiku subdir, from bootstrap.sh, but of course all
> autoconf does then is resolve the AC_PROG_CXX macro into the subdir's
> configure file, which can be done even on a system where CPP is not
> available, and, unlike the root one, this configure is only invoked for
> Haiku, so it's not a problem.

Yes. At first even I was confused, and had put this part under a condition
testing for Haiku. Then I realised my mistake.

> What I'd advise you to do is run a 'make dist' or 'make distcheck' on your
> repo, which generates the kind of tarballs we provide to our users, and
> confirm that, when you run configure and try to build using this tarball on a
> Haiku system, everything works. if that's the case, then I don't see much of
> a hurdle for the inclusion of the Haiku backend.

Tested. It works perfectly fine.

> The one minor thing I need to point out is, if you look at the log, you'll
> see that autotools complains about the lack of a COPYING file in the haiku
> subdir, which means it creates one for the GPL3 (which isn't our license) and
> it also creates AUTHORS, INSTALL, README and NEWS files, which we could do
> without. To avoid this, you probably want to have:
>
>  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([no-define foreign])
>
> in haiku's configure.ac. From what I could see, it may still create empty
> NEWS, README and AUTHORS, but at least it won't send confusing messages about
> our license of produce a warning in the log.

Done. (The empty NEWS, README and AUTHORS were present in the repository. I
have now removed them.)

> I have now tested your current repo against MinGW, cygwin and Linux (without
> C++) and found no issue for our existing systems.

With this, I hope all issues are now resolved and we can proceed to include the
Haiku backend. :)

Regards,

Akshay Jaggi