[haiku-doc] Re: Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Documentation ML <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:23:59 +0100

Humdinger wrote:
The *.en-version.{rxxxxxx} is added to every html file and specifies what version of the English original was used for translation. I originally meant to have one per language but that doesn't appear to be fine grained enough. This may be a point of further discussion...

I've been thinking about that a bit, because I'd hate to have one additional ".en-version.{rxxxxx} file for every html.
For some time I thought to put a comment like
"<!-- Corresponding English version for this translation: rxxxxx -->"
in the header of every file. But it's also awkward to have to look into every
file.

So, I suggest we go back to one "version.txt" for every language, containing the "Corresponding English version for this translation: rxxxxx" for the whole translation. This means that we always keep the complete translation in sync with the English original and don't have one html from a newer and the next from an older revision.

This is how I picture the workflow for a new translation:

1. Get the English User Guide via svn and put it in a separate folder, so it's not updated when you perhaps sync the rest of the Haiku source.

2. Do a "svn info" to see its revision number and put it into a "version.txt" in your translation folder.

3. Completely translate the whole enchilada.

4. When finished, go into the folder of the English version and do a "svn status" which shows you what's all been changed while you were translating. (Aw, man...)

5. Do a "svn diff > Changes.diff" in the English folder to get all changes in a
text file.

6. Do a "svn update" to get the current English version.

7. Put that new revision number (get it with "svn info") in your translation's "version.txt" and start incorporating the changes to your translation.

From now on do 4. thru 7. regularly or be overwhelmed when we need to get it all uptodate before a new Haiku release. :)

Instead of working from a diff file in point 5, you could also use some visualizing tool like "meld" to graphically compare svn and local version.

Never having worked with different translations or svn, this is all theoretical. If anyone sees a better way, let us know. On the other hand, since there hasn't been much reaction from the current translators (are you subscribed to this list?), I'll stop my ramblings for now. At least the restructuring of the file hierarchy to accommodate future translations should be done now. How those are added later is another matter.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de