[haiku-doc] Organizing translations of User Guide/Welcome Package

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Documentation ML <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:53:05 +0100

Hi there,

on the developer mailing list, I recently posted about (re)organizing the Haiku User Guide and Welcome Package to accomodate translations. This time of year being always a bit calm it only garnered few reactions, though they were quite positive. So, I may also mean that my suggestions are just valid... :)

I'd like to pose them (slightly altered) on this list again to maybe refine them together or getting it from theory to fact by someone with write access to the SVN.

First a translation friendly hierarchy:

/docs
    /userguide
          /images
             /{chapter-subfolders}   : language independent images
          /{language}                : one folder per language, e.g. en, it, de
             /images                 : language specific images
             /{chapter-subfolders}
             *.html
             *.en-version.{rxxxxxx}  : revision of the English doc used for
                                     : translating this file
     userguide.html                  : one page linking to the contents.hmtl
                                     : of the different translations

    /welcome
          /images                    : language independent images
          /{language}                : one folder per language, e.g. en, it, de
             /images                 : language specific images
             *.html
             *.en-version.{rxxxxxx}  : revision of the English doc used for
                                     : translating this file
     welcome.html                    : one page linking to the welcome.hmtl
                                     : of the different translations

Haiku-doc.css                        : The currently named welcome/welcome.css
                                     : to be used for all documentation

The *.en-version.{rxxxxxx} is added to every html file and specifies what version of the English original was used for translation. I originally meant to have one per language but that doesn't appear to be fine grained enough. This may be a point of further discussion...

Second a suggestion how to make sure every translation is up to date:

We'll have a "version.txt" file for every language which holds the revision number of the English docs that was used for the translation. Regularly, but at the latest when the English files are frozen for an upcoming release, you can make a diff against that revision to see what's all changed in the original, and then translate these changes.

Should we reach a consensus that this is the way to proceed, I'd like the Document Tem Leader (if that position in the project still officially exists) to please make the required changes.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de