[haiku-doc] Re: End user documentation

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:03:33 +0200

Niels Reedijk wrote:
 I believe that documentation has to be structured, else it
will be a big collection of thoughts that end up nowhere.

I concur.

So my suggestion would be that a few interested individuals work
together for a while, to try out some things, draft up some standards
and then open up for business for the main public.

Scott, if you'd like to, we can continue working on that attributes & queries doc in odf format and step by step work out the style. When we think we're ready we beg the web team to convert this into a wiki and have others chime in for fine tuning. With that we work out a kind of docu styleguide and come up with the chapters that should be covered. After that it's simply filling in the blanks... :)

In this sense I see a bright future of webcasts. Short how-to like
videos that show you, step by step, how to perform certain tasks. The
division into steps is a good idea, because associated with the
webcast comes a short document that sums up all the actions (and
ideally you could click on one of them to jump to the specific moment
in the webcast video).

I have no experience with webcasts. The things you young folks keep coming up
with... :)
Maybe we can add links to examples to each chapter. Those could be webcasts, traditional docu or a mix, as you suggested. Or youtube videos or flash animations, or what have you.

Kind regards,
Humdinger

--
Deutsche Haiku News @ http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com