[haiku-development] Re: [webkit-dev] WebKit Planning on Requiring Python 2.7 Soon

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:18:07 +0200

On 2014-09-11 at 12:28:50 [+0200], Jessica Hamilton
<jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/09/2014 6:13 PM, "pulkomandy" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > The WebKit team is about to start requiring Python 2.7 starting next
> > week. We still have only 2.6.9 in our repositories. Are we ready to
> > migrate to 2.7 or should we ask them to delay the switch?
>
> Shouldn't we be able to provide both versions with package management, and
> even have them both installed?

As long as the packages have different names and provides (i.e. python26
and python), this is possible. Of course, only one of those packages can
provide the 'python' binary (the other one would have to resort to
'python-2.6' or similar).

But in general I'd prefer it if we could restrain ourselves to stick to a
single version of python 2. If we decide to support two different versions
of python, it should be 2.x and 3.x.

cheers,
        Oliver