[haiku-development] Re: mail preferences auto config

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:43:16 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:31:04 +0100
> Von: Clemens Zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: mail preferences auto config

> > It may not be, but I wasn't saying that it was. I was addressing a
> > real concern you had about having to open open a whole bunch of files
> > every time the dialog opened, and I suggested a solution to it.
> > Take it as you will; constructive criticism.
>
> Yes I take it as this and you had good ideas! But I think the way to go is
>
> to start a thread on startup that load the database into memory and/or put
>
> the database into one textfile. Then the gui blocks only for the very very
>
> unlikely case that you faster type a email address then the database is
> loaded. But at the moment I don't know if it is worth the affort and that
> was my primary intention.

I think it's better to keep it simple do as Dustin said and store the file with
the name of the provider, then look it up as soon as the user typed his
address. I don't think the GUI would block (noticibly) by that. This is the
cleanest solution that would scale indefinitely. Even loading the database at
program start in another thread is more heavy on resources and potetially, in
some distant future, does not scale well anymore.

Best regards,
-Stephan