[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development]multiuser discussion from BFS drivers thread

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:48:45 -0500

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Stephan Assmus wrote:
>

>> I don't have much of an opinion about the security features of multi-user.
>> However I find it very convenient to be able to set up multiple accounts on
>> shared computers. For example we have only one Mac in the household, and
>> while my girlfriend usually uses it, it's pretty nice to switch into my
>> account with my own settings, identity and installed software.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> -Stephan
>>

>  given current boot times of haiku, Is such a feature needed ? I'd rather
> my wife has her own computer. We have multiple machines to satisfy that
> issue, but multi partition I think is even better in regards to multiple
> users.  What would be nice is a way to quickly change to another partition
> "live reboot" where I can have my part of the drive and she can have hers.
> also it protect my partition from infestation unless said
> virus/Trojan/worm/spam ware is intelligent enough to cross pollinate the
> drives.
>
> Most multi user facilitation is 2 pronged from my observations.
>
>  use 1 is primarily for administrative functions done by a central I.T.
> group in terms of maintenance,data updates and system and program updates.
>  use 2 is data sharing or Point of sales or engineering terminals in large
> corporate settings with slip seated workstations. Where there are physical
> multiple users
>
>  the last area Multiuser seems to be useful is in the Unix'y world of
> cloud/mainframe types system where one machine hosts multiple thin clients
> with data sharing and each thin client is kind of a screwy VM hosted from a
> cnetral mainframe. I have seen these systems in hospital,fire police etc.
> They work great where shared data is important. .
>
>  None of these usage cases could be made for a desktop operating system.
> Microsoft estimates that a majority of its home desktop PC's never have a
> multiuser account setup.I have seen stats ranging from 60-80%
>
>  while I think Multi-User is nice. I fail to see where it fits into the
> design principals of Haiku and certainly it falls far outside the scope of
> the original mission statement of R5 compatibility. I am not entirely
> convinced it would be a good fit for R2 due to the way it so fundamentally
> changes the way the system behaves.
>
>  sorry for the topic derail. but the original comment caught me off guard.
>
>  Sean

I only have 1 user on my iPhone and I am glad that Apple hasn't decided to
add the "feature" to include more. Haiku is similar. It is used by one
person, or a few people who have a trust relationship.

I think multi-user support should wait for R2, and even then maybe not,
perhaps it could be pushed off indefinitely.

John Scipione