[haiku-development] Re: ffmpeg licensing

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:20:05 -0700

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the web forums, the legal status of including ffmpeg as backend is
> being questioned, esp. if Haiku CDs were sold at some time. [1]
> Can anyone comment on that, best in that forum thread?

I don't have much time to head to the forums, but if the issue is with
codecs and patents, there's really no avoiding it at this point.
Stripping out all codecs that aren't "patent-encumbered" would
probably leave Haiku unable to play a large majority of modern
audio/video content (perhaps with the exception of ogg and webm).

It's my understanding that Haiku doesn't officially "rely" on ffmpeg -
it's just another media plugin. It just so happens that it currently
provides the majority of our codec support because it's fast and
complete.

So, coming to the conclusion that Haiku is in danger because it relies
on ffmpeg for all media playback is probably false. ffmpeg can
probably be removed as needed.