[haiku-development] Re: default conf build

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:19:40 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Raynald Lesieur <Raynald.Lesieur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >     Is it possible to configure a keymap ( french for example ) when
> > you
> > build an image ?
>
> I don't know if you can override it somehow, but in build/jam/
> HaikuImage, there is the following line (line 356):
>
> AddFilesToHaikuImage home config settings : <keymap>US-International :
> Key_map ;
>
> Just change "US-International" to "French" or whatever you prefer, and
> this should work.
> I don't know if there is the possibility to move this setting to the
> build config only (if you ask me, there is no need to put this config
> file on disk in the default build, anyway).

If you place this in your UserBuildConfig, the link in HaikuImage will
override it. I think the default setup should work without any link and
default to US-International. Maybe it already does. Will try.

What I don't like is the whole way that keymaps, acceleration settings,
modifiers and all that are assigned to devices. Because they are not at all
assigned to devices, they are global settings which apply to all devices.
Consider the not so unlikely case where I have a mouse and a keyboard
attached to a notebook. The acceleration settings which are perfect for the
touchpad might not at all be perfect for the mouse. Similarily, if I have
num_lock on for the external keyboard, because it has a separate number
block, it might totally mess up the laptop keyboard, because the right half
is now in num_lock mode. The same problem applies if I happen to have
keyboards with different layout, for example a German keyboard in the
laptop, but a US-International keyboard attached via USB.

if we do this for R2... :-)

BTW: It works the same in Windows (don't know about other OS') and it sucks
there just the same... ;-)

Best regards,
-Stephan