[haiku-development] Re: Writing Device Drivers - CRAM - Problem Malloc()

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:01:59 -0400

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Earl Pottinger
<earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you, I thought I read somewhere that applications on Haiku could use a
> total of 4GB address space on a machine with enough memory.  From that I just
> assumed (you know what that makes me :)  that I could use more than 2GB on a
> 3GB machine.

Not while we're still 32-bit. PAE allows the OS overall to use up to
iirc 64GB, but a given app will still only get the same 32-bit / 4GB
address space and associated user/kernel split. Only once we make the
jump to 64-bit will an individual app be able to use more.

> If in the future I buy a 8GB machine will I still be limited to 2GB per app?

As stated above, yes.

Regards,

Rene