[haiku-development] Re: Writing Device Drivers - CRAM - Problem Malloc()

  • From: Earl Pottinger <earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

Does malloc() have a lot of overhead or am I doing something wrong?If I try to
create a char[] array that is 1GB or greater on my 2GB laptop or the 3GB
desktop the object code created will no load.
I tried to get around this problem by using malloc().  Since the Data_Tracks
were 1MB in I started with 1MB allocations, but even on a 3GB machine with
no applications I get allocation errors after 1.6GB of allocation.
Why?