[haiku-development] Re: Variety of quit/save dialogs

  • From: Lauri Nurmi <lanurmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:18:11 +0200

15.12.2012 11:51, Humdinger kirjoitti:
I've noticed that we use a variety of different quit/save dialogs in
our apps.

- "Don't save" is the obvious negation of "Save" and therefore even for
people with only a rudimentary knowledge of English obvious in an
instant. "Discard" isn't as trivial. Being two words also serves to
distinguish the label quickly.

If the decision is made to avoid 'difficult' English words, then the language should probably be called Simple English, and such policy should affect all the text strings in Haiku, not just one button in one dialog.

In my opinion that is a bad idea. As basically anyone in the world can download Haiku, it cannot be assumed the end user knows any English at all. So there is no limit on how simple the language should be to make every potential end user understand it.

-LN