[haiku-development] [VOTE] providing nightlies: before R1A2 or not?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:08:59 +0000

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 02:38, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, when should nightlies be provided, ASAP, 1week, Oct 1st?
> This may have an impact upon how much testing R1Alpha1 will receive,
> as opposed to trunk.
> IMO, Oct 1st is good.
>
> Which images should we provide as nightlies?
> Do we want to provide every possible combination, a subset, or just
> x86gcc2hybrid?
> I'm proposing the following subset. This will place emphasis on what
> will eventually become R1 and provide a way to check if an issue is
> indeed gcc specific.

> All basic `jam image` images will be retained for archival purposes
> and for checking which revision some functionality broke, etc.
> The alpha-* will have a shorter lifespan, maybe something like 3
> weeks. This is simply due to their size in comparison to the basic
> images.

Releasing pre-built versions of Haiku is something that has caused
friction in the past,  whether it was providing ISO's, 3rdparties
providing official or unofficial builds, distributing at shows, etc,
etc.

Some end users in IRC and elsewhere have been asking about it.
So, please, take the time to add your input, however brief or even to
indicate indifference.

To clarify my original suggestion:

On October 1st, start providing these images:

  * x86gcc2hybrid (all jam targets)
          ** @alpha-raw
          ** @alpha-vmware
          ** @alpha-iso
          ** image (eg  `jam -q image`)

  * x86gcc2 (only basic image)
          ** image (eg  `jam -q image`)

  * x86gcc4 (only basic image)
          ** image (eg  `jam -q image`)

The delay in time is to stress testing of R1 Alpha1.

The basic images of gcc2 and gcc4 is to provide a history, which can
be searched for run-time errors that are discovered some time in the
future.

Appear to agree with the above suggestions:
-------------------
<kirilla> mmadia: I think it looks okay

Do not appear to agree:
-----------------------------
<dr_evil3> i don't think we should publish daily build until we publish alpha2
DeadYak
PulkoMandy

9/18:
<DeadYak> you're going to keep building nightly alpha profiles?
<DeadYak> I don't really see much point in that until we're close to alpha2
<pulkomandy1> yes, people wanting to actually use haiku should get the
alpha now, and the build should be for testing only
<mmadia> we provided the alpha builds for a long, long time before branching
<pulkomandy1> yes but now we have a real alpha available
<DeadYak> mmadia: sure but that was when we knew we were reasonably
close to branching, it wasn't *that* long
<DeadYak> I don't see any real purpose in those builds at this point
<DeadYak> others might disagree
<luroh> it would give more exposure to the features not included in
plain trunk builds
<DeadYak> luroh: yes but those are now given exposure via the official alpha
<DeadYak> I don't see much point in providing them as nightlies since
imo that'd just offer confusion