[haiku-development] Re: [VOTE] providing nightlies: before R1A2 or not?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:36:59 +0000

2009/9/22 Jérôme Duval <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2009/9/22 Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> What about switching from zip to tar.bz2 or 7zip?
>
> zip is globally supported. Providing an alternative is ok. Did you try xz ?

Honestly, I haven't heard of the xz format before.

Here's a test showing different compression results, with a revised "nightly-*"

  HAIKU_IMAGE_SIZE = 350 ;
  AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages Pe Nano Vision P7zip ;
  AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages Development Subversion OpenSSH ;

350M = raw uncompressed (about 305M is actually used)
93MB = .zip
81MB = tar.bz2
50MB = .7z

--mmadia